Notes on Distraction
We always feel that we could be doing something better with our time. Or that, somehow, whatever we are doing does not meet our expectations.
Dissatisfaction is a form of distraction. We can never commit ourselves fully to anything, nor can we give anything our full attention. When I am not working, I feel that I should be doing something more productive; when I settle down to do that thing (writing, emails, doing my taxes, whatever), I immediately want to take a break and do something mindless instead. Therefore everything is a distraction, and we feel ourselves constantly pulled away from the "something" that we should be doing instead...but is that "something" itself not a distraction? And wouldn't we be happier if we treated whatever we were doing in the moment as the most important thing?
There are moments in which we are doing nothing, and yet we feel completely satisfied.
Comments
Post a Comment